Existing faculty housing of the 1950's within a mature forest canopy was renovated to a new LEED Gold multifamily garden community complex for Princeton faculty. The site design integrated the new community into an existing historic neighborhood linking the Stanworth residents to the Princeton campus through pedestrian/bicycle links and connection to adjacent YMCA/YWCA facilities. Utilizing existing building foundations, the architects, Torti Gallus + Partners minimized site disturbance and maximized tree preservation. Up to 60% of viable trees were preserved enhanced with over 500 next generation trees while providing community greens, play areas, picnic pavilions and community walking paths under mature tree canopy.
Copperwood, designed by Studio Hiller architects, compressed a community development design from and original developer of 77% disturbance down to 17% of the 21-acre mature Oak/Beech forest. Arnold Associates design married the new complex into the surrounding preserved forest and integrated extensive and intensive roof deck landscape fissures through the buildings, balancing unit privacy with enjoyment of public outdoor spaces by the residents.